Understanding the Role of a “Complaint” when Filing an Arizona Injury Lawsuit

Filing a personal injury lawsuit may seem like a huge undertaking to many people. Besides questions about how exactly to go about filing an injury claim in court, you may additionally wonder how much it will cost to file a personal injury lawsuit as well as whether you will need a lawyer in order to do so. It is questions like this that an experienced Arizona injury lawyer with a background in personal injury law can answer.

Filing a personal injury lawsuit is actually very easy. It entails giving the clerk of the court a cheque and a piece of paper with a few key words on it. This is all that starts the process of a personal injury lawsuit: a cheque and a piece of paper.

Most people still know how to write out a cheque, but most of those same people would probably not know what belongs on that piece of paper. What someone wanting to file a claim needs to do is fill out what is called a “Complaint,” which is simply a piece of paper that indicates who the plaintiff is, the name of the defendant, and what happened to cause the accident.

The plaintiff in a personal injury case usually is the person who was hurt, the parents or guardians of a child who was hurt, or the family of a loved one who died due to the accident. The person or persons who caused the accident are called the defendant in the Arizona court system. Besides these basic pieces of information, a few additional statements must be on the personal injury complaint regarding jurisdiction, which tells which county the personal injury claim belongs, as well as the details as to what the defendant did wrong to cause the accident.

To learn more about the legal grounds of a personal injury lawsuit in Arizona, you may want to speak with one of the experienced Phoenix personal injury attorneys at Breyer Law Offices, P.C. We understand that the aftermath of any accident causes several challenges for an injured individual and their family to overcome. We are here to help. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation of your case.

Contact Information