As Arizona personal injury lawyers, we are very concerned about the increase in distracted driving incidents. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood recently called the problem “a national epidemic,” and is increasing federal efforts to stop it and, according to Fox 10, studies show that the problem is particularly prevalent among teenage drivers.
In Arizona, driving while distracted by cell phones, pets, children, and other passengers causes thousands of crashes every year. Arizona does not restrict cell phone use or texting, but that could soon change. Lawmakers are discussing bills that would crack down on anyone using cell phones, especially to text.
How to Avoid Distracted Driving Accidents
Here is the best way to avoid distracted driving accidents: if you want to use your cell phone, don’t. Cell phones contribute to a major portion of this type of crash, and people who use their phones and cause a crash are often held responsible for the injuries and damages they cause. Here are some other tips to avoid distraction:
- Keep your pets in animal crates or locked with animal seatbelts to avoid having them crawl around the car and distract you.
- Ask children to be quiet while you drive and consider purchasing video screens for in-car usage to keep them occupied.
- Use a hands-free device to talk on your cell phone or consider waiting to talk until you are parked.
- Never text while driving.
- Ask passengers to help you navigate and avoid heated discussions that may take your attention off the road.
Finally, if you notice another driver who is distracted, keep a large distance between you and them. Slow down if possible or pass quickly and safely.
Contact an Arizona Personal Injury Attorney
If you are the victim of a distracted driving incident, an experienced Arizona distracted driving crash injury attorney can help. These types of incidents are sometimes difficult to prove, but the team at Breyer Law Offices, P.C. works hard to uncover facts such as whether the other driver was distracted by a cell phone or other device. We use these facts to build a case and obtain a fair settlement that you can use to pay medical expenses and more. Contact us today to see what we can do for you.